Wine Dinner

 

My Wine Dinner

On Saturday night, my friends and I had an impromptu wine dinner together where everyone made a dish or a dessert for dinner. We had pasta, curry with rice, and key lime pie to go with our selection of the Ménage a Trois wine (a white blend), Oliver red blend wine, and a Landshut Riesling.

The first dish above, was the pasta and the Ménage a Trois white blend wine that was a mixture of chenin blanc, moscato, and chardonnay. The pasta itself was amazing, but however I found the wine that I paired with it lacking. The wine itself smelled a bit like sulfur, but it also had hints of some flowery and citrus to go with it. When I actually tried it with the pasta, I was disappointed that the wine's sweetness just more or less tasted like a watered down moscato. Never before have I been so disappointed in a wine, all of that just to be met with something that I could have easily bought and just drank on my own without needing food to compliment it.

The curry and the red wine, it was by far my favorite combination in my wine dinner. The red blended wine smelled very sweet, like raspberries and a hint of strawberries as well. To me, the slight kick of the curry was a perfect addition to the sweetness of the wine. It genuinely felt like it completed each other as the wine tasted like raspberries and honey while the curry spices added to it as well. It was like a dry wine without the dryness but kept all the spices as well. It was a wonderful combination.
Although the Riesling and the key lime pie were great on their own, they were not so great together. The Riesling smelled like the standard Riesling but this time it had the sulfur smell as well as its usual citrusy and flowery smell. When I had actually tasted the Riesling, it was not as sweet as the other Rieslings that I have had before. On the other hand, the key lime pie was very sweet especially when you add the whipped cream along with it. Unfortunately, because of how sweet it was, it overpowered the Riesling making it taste very dull as a result.

Overall, this was a great experience and one day I hope I can do it again very soon. I am quite excited to try out new pairings from now on with different types of foods.

Comments